If you are looking to gain a new skill, meet new people or help a worthy cause, then why not try volunteering?
There are a wide range of voluntary positions available. Some can be to help a charity in the office, in the community, during events or helping to raise awareness and funds and others can be providing much needed help to businesses or individuals running an event, etc.
Here are some volunteering opportunities available:
- Volun-cheer: London Marathon cheerer ~ April, various charities, including
- MoonWalk London ~ May, Clapham Common, Walk the Walk Uniting Against Breast Cancer
- Nomad Cinema ~ summer volunteering opportunities at this social enterprise pop-up cinema
- parkrun ~ various roles, throughout the year
- Become a befriender with Age UK
- Natural History Museum ~ short-term, medium-term and long-term opportunities
- Greenwich + Docklands International Festival ~ June to July
- Volun-cheer: Ride London cheering point volunteer ~ end July, various charities, including
- Hyper Japan Festival ~ July
- London Craft Beer Festival ~ August
- Great British Beer Festival ~ August
- Africa Fashion Week London ~ August. Various roles including dressing the models, liaising with press and helping to seat audiences.
- Cancer Research UK Race for Life ~ over 300 events across the country
- Oxfam Festival Stewards ~ various music festivals across the country
- LHA London ~ free accommodation in exchange for volunteering in one of their hostels
- YHA ~ range of opportunities across England and Wales
- Open House London ~ September
- Museum of London ~ year round opportunities
- Feststaff ~ volunteer at the UK’s biggest music festivals
- Volunteer in a charity shop, such as British Red Cross, Oxfam and the British Heart Foundation
- Become a Reader Helper with Save the Children
- Shakespeare’s Globe Volunteer Stewards
- Volunteer for The Children’s Trust, they are looking for volunteers to fill roles ranging from admin to events and retail to helping children.
- Combine exercise with conservation and join a Green Gym
To find an extensive range of opportunities
- Check out the Team London volunteering website for a list of long and short term volunteering opportunities or do-it.org
- Search online for charities you are interested in and look at their volunteering opportunities e.g. Cancer Research or British Red Cross
- Look in the volunteer section on Charity Job
- Is your workplace interested in Corporate Volunteering? If so, check out our Corporate Volunteering page