Your friend in London

Healthcare in London

Find a doctor in London. Find a dentist in London. Find your closest hospital. What are you entitled to?

Find out about Healthcare in London.

Some people choose to pay for private health services but UK residents are entitled to free or subsidised medical treatment through the National Health Service (NHS).

See if you qualify:

Moving to London

Visiting London

Types of healthcare in London explained:

There are different options for treatment depending on the type and seriousness of the condition.

Doctor Surgery

Find a doctor in London. You can register with a doctor if you are a resident in the UK (some surgeries will also allow you to register as a temporary patient if you are visiting for a short time – between 24 hours and 3 months).

To register with a doctor:

  • Click here
  • Type in your location/postcode
  • A list of doctor surgeries in your area will be given with further details and reviews
  • Choose a surgery and go to their reception or visit their website to complete a registration form

Walk-in Centre, Urgent Care Centre & Minor Injuries Unit 

If you are not near your doctor’s surgery or you can’t get an appointment and need to see a nurse/doctor about a minor illness or injury (not an emergency), you can go to a walk-in centre, urgent care centre or minor injuries unit.

Click here for information about these centres

To find a centre:

  • Click here
  • Type in your location/postcode
  • A list of minor injuries units, walk-in and urgent care centres in your area will be given
  • Go straight to the centre – you do not need an appointment


A pharmacist may be able to help with treatment advice for minor ailments such as headaches, flu, etc.

You can find a pharmacy (chemist) inside many Boots stores, some supermarkets and independent stores such as Lloyds Pharmacy

Family Planning

Click here to find a free contraception or sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment clinic

Urgent medical help

For a life-threatening emergency dial 999 for an ambulance or go straight to A&E (Accident & Emergency)
Click here for further information and to find your nearest A&E

NHS 111 Use this telephone service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones

Dial 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E (also known as emergency department or casualty) or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Click here for further details and downloadable information in several languages

Find a dentist in London

To register with a dentist in London

  • Click here
  • Type in your location/postcode
  • A list of dentists in your area is given
  • Choose a dental surgery which is accepting new patients and visit/contact them to register

There is normally a charge for dental treatment and check-ups for adults


If you need an eye test you will need to register with an opticians:

For example:

There is a charge for eye tests, glasses and contact lenses

Tip: Look out for offers for free/discounted eye tests (often sent in the post or flyers on the street)