London is Open
The UK will be leaving the EU, commonly known as ‘Brexit’, in 2019. The terms are yet to be decided. Until then everything remains the same. If you are an EU citizen you still have exactly the same rights as before the referendum. London is Open!
- 23 June 2016: an EU referendum was conducted to decide whether the UK was to leave or remain a member of the European Union. The majority 52% voted to leave the EU.
- 13 July 2016: Theresa May became the new Prime Minister after David Cameron stepped down.
- 29 March 2017: Article 50 was submitted to the EU starting the two year process of Brexit, which involves deciding the terms of leaving the EU and negotiations for the future of UK and EU relations.
- 18 April 2017: Theresa May announced a general election will take place on 8 June.
- 8 June 2017: Snap general election was held. Conservatives won.
- 29 March 2019: The UK is due to become independent from the EU.